|Dr Khawaja Idrees|
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics(PIDE), Islamabad
· BBA from University of Peshawar [Year: 1983 (June)]
· Matric: 1978
|Experience: Banking: 11 years, Teaching: 8 years, Research (PIDE): 7 months
Current Occupation: September 2006-Present
Research Associate, PIDE, Islamabad
Involved as Co-Principle investigator in Research projects, that include Civil Service Reforms and Entrepreneurship in Pakistan.
The research Papers, that include “Banking: Interest Spread, Inelasticity of Deposit Supply and Mergers”, and Determinants of Interest Spread in Pakistan” were done during the stay at PIDE.
Teaching: 8 years
Aug. 2005-Aug. 2006
• Assistant Professor, Air University, Islamabad.
Visiting: Sept. 2000-July 2005
(i) Bahria University (Islamabad Campus)
(ii) Muhammad Ali Jinnah University (Islamabad Campus)
(iii) International Islamic University (IIU), Islamabad
The apparently long service as visiting faculty was meant to spare enough time for two years course-work of the Ph.D. (morning programme) and the dissertation.
Besides the courses referred above other courses taught include:
(i)Macro Economics (ii) Microeconomics (iii) Money & Banking.
(iv) Issues in Pakistan Economy
(i) Introduction to Business Finance (ii) Financial Management
(iii) Investment & Security Analysis (iv) Portfolio Management
(v) Bank Management (vi) Multinational Financial Management
Banking: 11 years
National Development Finance Corporation (NDFC)
• Joined: September 7, 1986 at Head Office in Karachi, as Officer Grade-II
• Promoted to officer Grade-I, in a span of two years
• Promoted to Assistant Vice President (AVP) in next fours years
• Both promotions were earned after completing the minimum required service in a
• Opted for handshake in January ’98
• At the time of opting for handshake, the minimum period for promotion to VP-
Cadre had just been completed.
Assignments at NDFC
• Worked in the capacity of a departmental head with a staff of 15
• Most of the service period with NDFC was devoted to Financial Analysis,
Project appraisal & monitoring the Industrial projects for loan recovery.
• Analyzing NDFC’s financial statements and drafting a comprehensive review
there on, on periodical basis, for management review.
• Preparation of Annual Budget of NDFC that included various
departments located at Head office, two regional offices and 40
branches spread over the country.
• Supervision of tasks, like, preparation of bills of amounts due, and maintenance
of accounting record etc. of borrowers' accounts.
• With Auditors (SBP, Commercial and External)
• With governmental agencies, SBP and international lending
agencies in respect of accounting information(including,
Prudential regulations & CIB report) required by the agencies.
“Exchange market pressure and monetary policy”
The study seeks to analyze the relationship, if any, between exchange rate depreciation/Foreign reserves depletion and the change in money supply/ interest rate. The study uses econometric techniques like vector auto regression and Granger Causality to examine the relationship in question.
2005, “Interest Rate Pass-Through in Pakistan: Evidence from Transfer Function Approach”: Pakistan Development Review, 44 (4), pp.975-998.
2006, “Banking: Interest spread, inelastic deposit supply and Mergers” Presented at international conference (Dec.19-22, 2006) organized by: Pakistan Society of Development Economists. Accepted for publication in Pakistan Development Review, (A refereed Journal published Quarterly by PIDE, Islamabad
2007, (Forthcoming), “Determinants of Interest Spread In Pakistan”, PIDE Working Paper Series.